Saturday, November 18, 2006

Holey cheese, army knives, amazing tennis players.... Where am I?



Just came back from Zurich yesterday and had a truly amazing experience. My fellow crew members in economy were fun, entertaining people and the passengers were friendly and accomodating (any crew reading this will know how few and far between flights like this are!) We made a quick stop at the hotel for a shower etc and then headed into the city centre to explore. I find great pleasure in simply wandering around a new city for the first time, observing everything - the people, the architecture, the atmosphere, the weather, the SHOPPING! I almost enjoy doing this more than seeing the traditional tourist attractions themselves.

On the advice of my friend Toby, I led the 3 other economy crew through the cold and the fading daylight to search for the hallowed BLINDEKUH - a famous Swiss dining institution. My extremely limited German was put to the test as we negotiated the public transport system to find this place, praying it was not going to be awful after I'd dragged the faithful down hills and up dales for over an hour...

Well, awful it was not. After securing all possessions in a locker and choosing your menu, you are led by your certified BLIND waiter into a PITCH BLACK ROOM where you EAT, DRINK, and CONVERSE in the DARK! No lights, no nothing! A completely unique experience for all of us. It's so bizarre pouring a drink, locating cutlery and eating a hot meal with no eyesight - it made everything taste and smell so much better. The others really loved it too which made the whole thing a very 'Emirates - Keep Discovering' moment for all.

Loitering with intent in downtown Zurich


Outside the Blindekuh. Close your eyes. Now you have all the photos you need of what it looks like inside...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So anyway, do you have any opinion on My Chemical Romance?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I can now lay claim to being able to say I've seen the Young Divas LIVE. And can I say their reputation precedes them. okay, it was a pretty short set and okay they didn't play many of their hits, but that rendition of Australia's national anthem, the way they nailed every note and remembered every word... what can I say, but TOUCHDOWN!!
The cricket was pretty good too.

Daniel Watson said...

Well I watched the recording of their Ashes performance on YouTube just now, and something must have been really amiss in the sound mixing department that day. I could JUST make out a great harmony and the remnance of a powerful Paulini finish, but it was so quiet in relation to the backing music. Was it this case on the day?