Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Mauritius - le plus long blog de tous!



Where to begin?! I've been back from the tiny Indian Ocean nation of Mauritius for a few days now, and have had a chance to reflect on a fantastic holiday. It is very easy to take for granted the opportunities for international travel that are granted to me in this job, so I tried very hard to savour and appreciate every moment we had - by 'we' I mean myself, Nicole and her parents Peter and Deirdre.

Without going into boring details, we spent our 6 days at the 5-star resort 'Shandrani' on the island's south coast. Our days involved the usual beachy things - books were read, Malibus were consumed, cancer-causing UV rays were absorbed.....as I said, the usual. In addition we decided to 'get involved' which became the official slogan of the holiday: water skiing, parasailing, mountain biking, snorkelling, windsurfing, rock pooling, tennis, tai chi, ab classes.... I definitely earned my new moniker SPORTY DANIEL!

On the last day we took an all-day taxi and travelled to the north coast of the island to the capital city - Port Louis, and saw some of the northern beaches which made us generally grateful for choosing to stay at the other end of Mauritius. Good, just not as good would be the best summation I feel.

Let me go a bit photo crazy now. I think I may aim for smaller thumbnails and let you click to enlarge. As I've said before and will no doubt say again, it's all about getting involved!

Yours in buffets and tanning oil,

Sporty Dan (nee Cap'n)


All in the first hour - getting in the island spirit!
One for the mantelpiece, I feel
Nicole thinks I look like a boy band member here, and who would I be to argue?!

-Tim Tams. In Mauritius! Who'd have thunk it?! 87 rupees is $3.43 - not bad!
-The inner workings of a French/Indian/Mauritian supermarket for those interested...
-Dinner by the beach on night 2

The Mahebourg markets on Monday, by the ocean (like everything I suppose) - we cross-country-mountain-biked to get there...as any sporty person would!

Nanna, it's your choice of photo for Christmas this year!

This is Sporty Daniel. Sorry I can't take your call at the moment. I am out being sporty. Leave a message.

Shandrani - I know, it's a total dive, you don't have to say what we're all thinking!

Nicole welcomes you to the BEST DAY EVER - enjoy!


Heading out from Shandrani to the waterfall for some rock pool diving...

The family (minus half Daniel's head) with new friends Dean and Christina - a recently engaged British couple we met at the hotel

Did someone order a supermodel?! - enough posing, time to parasail!





Anyone that's been parasailing over the coral reefs of the south west corner of the Indian Ocean in November will KNOW what I'm saying when I say - BEE-YEWD-AFUL!

The very popular Mauritian island - Il Aux Cerfs. The one of Nicole and I was taken on the way home on a COMPLETELY deserted sandy island in the middle of the ocean.

Drinks, dinner, drinks and drinks with Dean and Christina (congratulations on your blog debut by the way!)

The final day - the Port Louis waterfront

The last one of Team Mazurkiewicz is overlooking a massive resevoir in the mountains - a perfect way to end our week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,

Its Jodes! Back from Canadia...I miss you so so much! Was going to email but thought you might read this more often? You look so well and sound even weller?? (a word?)?
Did I mention I miss you...

Love me xo

Anonymous said...

Lets just say you definatly didnt get your water skiing ability from your father.
hehe dad will kill me for writing this

Love you Daniel
From Em xox

Anonymous said...

Gee, aren't you just struggling to get by each day. The sun and water almost seem carcinogenic.
I suppose there's nothing like knowing that outside of my flourescent-lit office there are people thoroughly enjoying themselves. And I'm happy for those people... really... really happy.

Maritim Hotel in Mauritius said...

it's great that you enjoyed your stay at Mauritius..you can't help but really have fun with every activity you are in..

Maritim Hotel in Mauritius said...

it's great that you enjoyed your stay at Mauritius..you can't help but really have fun with every activity you are in..