Friday, March 31, 2006

No place like home!




What an awesome trip! As you know I have spent the last 8 days on a long trip with Emirates to Singapore, Brisbane and Auckland. It was the best fun I've had in this job. The crew was fantastic (made lots of friends) and it made everything enjoyable. First of all, we stopped in Singapore where I proceeded to put my liver to the test in a bar called Insomnia (half price for Emirates staff) It was a crazy night for all and produced enough stories to keep us amused on the next flight through to Brisbane!

I was so wrecked when I arrived home in Brisbane, but couldn't wipe the smile off my face to be back! Despite everyone being so tired and arriving around 7am after a 7 hour flight, the whole crew met for breakfast at the hotel which was great because normally when you get off the flight, nobody wants to see each other again!

Caught up with Sue and the Chermside team for lunch on Friday, and then I had dinner with Mitch and Tracy, Macy and Ava out at their place in The Gap. When I came back to the hotel, despite my eyes falling out of my head, the crew was waiting in the lobby for me and managed to drag me out clubbing! (my arm gets twisted very easily!) 25 drinks and 5 hours later a taxi took me back to my bed for a whole 6 hours sleep!

On Saturday I caught up with Mitch and Tracy for breakfast again, Rochelle and Stephen for afternoon tea and my parents for dinner. Also in the afternoon I took 7 of the crew out for a ride on the City Cat to New Farm Park (see pics below) I was quite the tour guide!

On Sunday it was up at 4.30am for a LONG day to Auckland and back. Completely uneventful, it was a half full flight both ways and a 4 hour wait on the ground in NZ (slept in first class, probably the only time that will happen). We all had big plans for Sunday night but we crashed and burned big time and hit bed early when we checked in to Bris again.

Monday was bonding day with Jodie, Kim and Sandra for lunch, Shelley in the afternoon, and dinner with Nathan and Alissa - another excellent day - made me REALLY not want to go back to Dubai! Tuesday, the last day, was mainly about shopping and getting stuff I can't get here (cheap Milo, cheap Tim Tams, decent clothes...)

After arriving back in Singapore at 4am, for some inexplicable reason, I agreed to go out again - this time for Heineken tallies at a cheap local food court with the Captain, First Officer, Senior Flight Steward and Jamie (slumming it in economy with me!) What possessed me to drink 2 and half litres of beer at 6am, I DO NOT KNOW! All I know is I didn't pay, at least not financially!

It was a very tiring but very necessary experience - getting sick of Dubai fast and a dose of QLD was exactly what I needed! It was even better knowing that I'll be back home again on the 11th...

In the meantime, I'm heading to Athens tomorrow for a day, and right before I leave, I've got two turn-around flights to Alexandria in Egypt, and Kuwait.

I'll email soon with my exact whereabouts when in Australia (with the days off they're giving me either side of my holidays, I'll have close to 3 weeks to see you all!)

Daniel :)

(also congratulations if you read this far!)



In the back galley L-R Maria (Denmark), myself, Jason (Melbourne), Elizabeth (UK) and Jelena (Serbia).



With Michelle (Ireland) and Jamie (UK) during our rest in the back row - we only get this if the flight is not full



With Macy at breakfast on Saturday



On the Brisbane River's CityCat - L-R myself, Jelena, Elizabeth, Maria, Carl (Zimbabwe), Michelle and Mohammed (Egypt).



Our view of an unusually wet and windy Brisbane from the CityCat



Doing our best Dawson's Creek cast photo impersonation in a tree in New Farm Park.



With Jodie at Garden City. Kim, Sandra and baby Madison were also there.



An empty Singaporean Food Court at about 7am - just before I crawled back to the hotel via McDonalds brekky.

No comments: