Saturday, March 18, 2006

African adventures




Just got off the crappiest flight I've done so far! Went to Nairobi in Kenya for 24 hours. The flight there and the actual time in Nairobi was really good just the flight home was challenging to say the least, but more of that in a bit.

Left Dubai on Thursday at 8am and arrived in Nairobi at about 1pm. I was so tired from not sleeping very well the night before, my eyes were closing while I was in my jumpseat during take off and landing (don't tell Emirates!), but still the journey wasn't over. We then had to do a shuttle to and from Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania before we could go to the hotel. Luckily the flight had only 100 passengers so it was a quick meal service (flight was 1hr 20mins each way) There was a big temptation to hit the pillow when we arrived again in Nairobi but I stayed up and went out for dinner with the other crew and the captains. Awesome steak restaurant called 'The Pavement' (should you be swinging by Kenya in the next few weeks) and I had 3 delicious courses for under $20.... I did forget to take my camera although you'd just be getting pictures of me eating so I'm sure we can all move on with our lives :)

Next day, after a good 13 hour sleep, a few of us headed for the local markets for some African souvenirs. Kenyan Schillings are worth pretty much nothing in any other country so we were advised to spend all our allowance in Nairobi (like I need an excuse, but I'm going with that one anyway!) It was interesting and horrible at the same time. A big indoor/outdoor market of African animals made from various materials. It would have been great except for that I'd been to South Africa and seen much of the same thing. Every shop owner pulls at you and calls you into his shop to buy things...they conned me into a few things. I have no idea if I was ripped off or not but I took 2000 schillings with me (about $40) and came out with some cool gifts. The nagging and the pulling from the shopkeepers wore me down very quickly though I managed to find a new nice ones (see below).

Despite the poverty and the poor infrastructure, I enjoyed Kenya and the whole sense of being in Africa once again. It was just coming back to Dubai that did our heads in. We were so glad to be coming home, but the passengers were intent on drawing it out for everyone. The call bell didn't stop ringing, I was yelled at by passengers for more drinks when I was getting other people their's, we were complained about to the Purser for not being fast enough with drinks and snack requests (4 cabin crew in economy, 215 passengers, hmmmmmm let me see....) Anyway I now have a total appreciation of anyone who works in a bar or restaurant every day! Was very glad to be back on the bus back home where I am now, diligently typing this blog post before I go to bed.

4 days off now, then I begin my Singapore/Brisbane trip which I could not possibly be more excited about!

See you soon,

Daniel




The Grand Regency Hotel Nairobi, where we stayed (Room 709 to be exact)



The outside view from my room



With Keiren (from Johannesburg) outside the market



With the shopkeepers I liked, inside the market

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel,
Your blog is great, but there could be a little something more. I think what's missing is photos of you eating. Yeah, the different countries are great, the people are fine, but where's the food? And with that figure you have to convince us that you could eat a whole steak let alone the other two courses. ;)

Anonymous said...

You...went...to Africa without me!?!?
All looks like fun, Dubai looks awesome but those temperatures seem rather excessive.

Is Oct still on? Can't wait to see you and for you to finally meet m'lady. Keep going to all the places the rest of us wish we could for us-Daniel (the better looking one)

Anonymous said...

I would have thought pictures of my family were at least worthy of a separate blog entry, if not website, but if we must be included with the Africans then so be it. Not that there is anything wrong with Africans. I like their spirit.