Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My intercontinental sickness debacle :(



I should never have set foot upon that plane, in fact I should never have set foot out of bed in the first place. Sore throat, sore skin and joints, menopausal hot flushes... this was not going to be a fun day. But when Emirates dangles a carrot in front of your face and the carrot says "come on Daniel! Let's go to Singapore and Melbourne for 5 days" it's hard to not take a bite!

By and large it was a good crew, all fairly new and inexperienced in economy which made me look like a dinosaur, but I was happy to look after the mid-economy galley and guide and assist the newbies where required. It was tricky however, in between throwing up in the back toilets, blacking out in the galley and generally feeling like death had come for a quick weekend getaway in my body.... So what does an infection-riddled boy like myself do when he arrives in Singapore? Sleep? No. Hot tea with honey and a bath? No. That's right, he commandeers a tour bus and heads for the night safari at SIngapore Zoo! Not the smartest move, but I'm not the smartest cookie!

It was a twilight tram ride through natural habitats of elephants, lions, tigers, giraffes, rhinos, hippos, cows..... These photos are the best of a bad lot... Then it was on to the nightly show in the amphitheatre - again, no flash photography allowed, so there are no photos of me with a massive boa constrictor wrapped around my arms and shoulders. I nearly peed my pants! Oh, the memories!


Our kind-one-minute-Nazi-the-next tour guide Lina, and a photo with sleepy Vivi (Thai) Oscar (Argentina) and Annabel (UK)


The animal palooza begins!

I SWEAR that's a lion on the hill!

The 'Creatures of the Night' show where I was mauled by a giant snake, and not the good kind!

My view from the 19th floor of the Carlton Hotel in downtown Singapore!

Well I decided to press on to Melbourne. Calling the International SOS medical service that Emirates provides worldwide seemed like a daunting experience and I thought if I'm going to do it, I'd rather do it in Melbourne. Assuming the doctor would make me stay behind and for the crew to operate home without me, better I'm within general proximity to my family and friends I say. Lo and behold, the doc says I can't go anywhere, and before I know it 3 days in bed sick have passed. The Hilton is certainly not the worst place to find yourself sick! I took a few short strolls to alleviate my intense boredom resulting in some beautiful Melbourne photos... I also caught up with my very good friend Sam who left Emirates in December - we miss her!


More hotel views, this time from the 12th floor of Hilton On The Park - MCG, Rod Laver Arena, Fitzroy Gardens.... so magnificent!

Not feeling the best, but so great to see Sam and her new man slash latest Emirates recruit (oh, the irony!) Adam


Now for the best bit of this sickly tale.... flying home direct to Dubai (14 hours) in a FIRST CLASS SUITE! Seriously, this seat set my fellow passengers back $6095 ONE WAY - not dirhams, DOLLARS! I felt so lucky even though I was coughing and or vomiting all the way home. Private suite, mini-bar, basket of chocolate bars, 20 inch television with the usual 600 channels, close to fully reclining leather arm chair slash bed, gourmet food on demand, complete silver service the list goes on. I tried to take a few photos to give you an idea but this was the best one :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One word: luxuryexceptforthepukingbit