Friday, August 25, 2006

A Dubai Summer Surprise!




Well two weeks ago I shared some pictures of the Dubai most tourists flock to - the new Jumeirah Beach area with the hotels, restaurants, clubs and the Burj. Now I bring you some of the old Dubai - the Dubai which is much more relevant to the locals. Nicole's family friends recently came to visit and I took these to capture the spirit of the evening.

My roster will be out Saturday night, and while I am expecting NO miracles, there is always hope!

The outside of Sheikh Saeed Al Mahktoum's House
The inside of the house - now a museum
Yes, that is a door, and yes, I am enourmous
Dubai Creek
The douws (traditional Arabic boats)
Boarding time - hats and smiles people!
Cruising up the Creek
I'm not sure if these boats are used as homes or commercially...
...I'll aim to uncover the truth in the next edition.
The fairly dirty, messy streets of downtown Deira (the biggest suburb of Dubai - NOT where I live!) Note the temperature at the time (around 7pm) was a VERY muggy 40 degrees. We were sweating like bushpigs!
The Mosque in the background was blaring the siren for prayer time - a very interesting time of the day!
Jackpot time at the gold souks!
MARHABA is Arabic for WELCOME and part of the staple vocab diet for cabin crew!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed the Georgraphy/history/current affairs lesson. The backstreets are really the heart of any city. Is this right?
When are you coming to our back water hole again? don't worry, I know, just trying to make conversation