Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The (mis)adventures of Daniel in DXB



It's been so long, I apologise! Traipsing around Asia and Australia for the past two weeks combined with absence of laptop is the excuse I am currently running with. My first flight was to Hong Kong on the 13th. I have always wanted to see this city and it certainly didn't disappoint. Even writing this my mind is racing with all the fun stuff we did and all the stuff I ran out of time to see. One of the problems we face on these 24 hour layovers is the need for some sleep before we are picked up to fly back to Dubai...this really can cut into sight-seeing time especially if you're not yet tired. Most of the crew on this trip were up for a big night, so after landing at 10pm, we got changed, fought off the desperate need for sleep and headed for the clubs. We got very, very lost after misreading the Chinese signs, but eventually we found a touristy bar around 1am. Pics below.... For those who want the JUICY details, please email or text - this is a G-rated blog!!! I don't have pictures of the Hong Kong hotel where we stayed, but it is the best in all of Emirates - plasma television which you can watch from the bath through the glass walls! The only thing is that it's in the middle of the red light district Mong Kok, which I guess could be a good thing depending on what you're after :)


Wandering the streets like pauperses...




All the madcap fun! Gotta love Joe Bananas!


Mong Kok where we stayed... at night time it was amazing, a bit like Asian Vegas!


Next stop on the 17th was Bangkok/Sydney - a much sought after 8-day layover. Well I did a good job of wasting the time which I am still disappointed about. I was feeling really sick on the morning we left for Bangkok, though it was too late to call sick and if I did I would have had 8 days of turnaround flights to Saudi Arabia and Syria so I pushed through the pain - what a trooper! In Bangkok I slept and had a traditional Thai massage which was pure agony (to give yourself a glimpse of aforementioned pain, place your thumbs on one of your calves, preferably one that already has a bruise, and push with all the energy you have!)



Sydney was also unproductive, dominated by rain, freezing winds, lots of sleep and the odd night of debauchery in Kings Cross. I hope you like the before and after pictures! I can't wait to go back and do all the touristy stuff - the Bridge, Opera House, Bondi...I did catch up with one of my very good friends, Kate, which was a definite highlight though I forgot my camera that night:(


Out with the Sydney crew...

BEFORE (8pm at dinner) and AFTER (7am on the way home)


On the return trip to Bangkok I was a little more rested and so I got to do more. Another massage (this time a softer aromatherapy experience) and shopping at the craziest mall I have ever been in - MBK. We caught a tuktuk to get there which was an unforgettable near-death experience, managed a good pic of that too!



Now I'm looking to the August roster to see what Emirates has in store for me next - may the great Dubai adventure continue!

No comments: