Monday, October 02, 2006

Live from India!

-
In order to boost my hours for the month so I can afford to eat in November, I swapped some days off for this trip to Kolkata (Calcutta) here in the east of India. Not knowing if I would be able to do anything when I got here, I brought my laptop and all the cords so if nothing else I would be able to play on the internet and watch dvds... and write a blog entry of course! The hotel we are staying in is the Hyatt Regency and it is a beacon of opulence in an otherwise poverty-stricken neighbourhood. You'll be able to get a small idea from the pictures I took below. On the streets I saw naked men showering in dirty water, urinating off bridges, children playing in the dirt, street-side barbershops, dogs with broken legs hobbling, cows and goats roaming freely, women washing their hair, tiny general stores manned by women and kids - a complete mish-mash of impoverished society, right by the roadside. I didn't get too many photos but this should give you an idea of what I was looking at.

Dad, Emily and Beetle arrive tomorrow and this blogger is a wee bit excited to be able to show off Dubai properly for the first time!


The super-modern Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport








Not quite Manhattan, but the shiny yellow cabs were borderline funky!


Click to enlarge, you will see the detail here - women bathing, the tiny shops... it's all here in Kolkata!


By contrast, this is the hotel I'm typing this blog from right now - across the street from the aforedisplayed poverty.


The view from Room 452

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

India looks like it takes Polio to a whole new level