Monday, August 14, 2006

500 gram sirloin, medium-rare, thanks!

On Saturday I came back from another great layover (this is probably becoming rather monotonous now for regular readers!) - this time from Johannesburg. It was the first time I had been back to South Africa since my second big trip in 2000/01, and many will know how special a place it has always been to me. I was placed on this trip at the last minute to cover my three days of reserve, which is a LOT better than being given multiple turn-around flights!

Due to the timing of the trip (arrive in JHB at lunch time after flying through the night and leaving at lunch the next day), it doesn't leave time to do any real sightseeing, so instead I focused on the shopping, dining and drinking! Off to Sandton City (the site of my infamous eyebrow piercing of 2001) to stock up on some South African essentials (Madam and Eve, Astros, PS Bars) and then after a one hour catnap, it was off to dinner with a very good friend of mine, Miranda, and some of the other crew. (pictures below)

I got into BIG trouble with the Purser on the way over as I fell asleep during my rest period. This is not officially allowed although most pursers allow it - mine didn't. I didn't actually mean to fall asleep, it just happened due to the dark, quiet plane in the middle of the night, and having been picked up at 1am to go to work. Anyway it was the most humiliated I've ever been at work, despite the great passenger comments I got on the flight. So what better way to fix the problem than with a couple of bottles of vino! :)

The whole table and the four of us - Miranda, myself, Rob and Steph
Stephanie and Miranda, Rob and I

Looking a bit sexual after two litres of sauvignon blanc!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well well well Mister Watson!!! Look at you go! Matching your blue eyes to the mediterranean sea... Bit special, it's NOICE!! I hear you got sent to BHX recently, so I guess I'll be seeing you soon in the UP tower on Sheikh Zay! (you know where I live, I'll make sure the door stays open). Congrats on the great pics my dear! Take care and see you soon! Francky xox

Anonymous said...

week two or three of Oz Idol, and the steaks are getting higher, or should that be just sizzling. what could be the start of a running commentary is now deteriorating into...
so... things are well then?
I hear you're coming back to Brisbane in the next financial year... would be good to catch up BNE International... if that's it's real code. let me know what flight you're on.

Anonymous said...

and theeeeeeennnnn...

Building you own blog on blogger.com: free
adding links and images and news on your blog: free
adding links, images and news only once a month: bone idol lazy.

harsh you may say? yes, I agree, but I have to say something.

Anonymous said...

that should of course read: bone idle.
Oz idol has capture my attention so