Tuesday, February 21, 2006

When in Rome....

Hi again,

On Saturday morning I was placed on airport standby which means I had to be at the Emirates Crew Briefing Centre between the fairly hideous hours of 6 and 9am, with all my bags packed. Basically they can send you anywhere if someone calls in sick or just fails to show up. This can range from a short trip to Doha or Kuwait, or an 8 day trip to Brisbane and Auckland.... the uncertainty is kind of exciting, but in a way you also just want to go back home to bed! To cut a long story short I was called to Rome, much to the jealousy of the other crew also on standby!

In short, it was amazing! 24 hours in an amazing city. We stayed at the Rome Hilton, and I caught a bus with the other crew into the main part of the city. We spent 4 and a half hours walking the streets of this beautiful city - the Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, the Soldier momunent (the name of which I never fully remember), pizza, gelato.... a perfect experience! I hope the pictures I attach give you a good idea! On Sunday morning we travelled as passengers in business class on an empty flight to Nice in southern France, picked up a full flight, and then via Rome again, headed home to Dubai.

The job itself is very tiring and demanding. When fully loaded in a 2-class format (business and economy) the Boeing 777-300 has room for 385 economy passegers and yesterday the flight was full! Thats a lot of meals, wines, pepsis, coffees, and eye shades!

At this stage my next flight is to Glasgow, Scotland on Friday. Will keep you posted!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog Daniel! I knew those journalist skills would come in handy one day!! The new camera takes fairly good snaps. This is not only a great way, no, a sensational way to let all your friends and relos know what you're up to, but also a great way to record your time travelling the world. A bit like an electronic scrap book.
Dad